February 28, 2011

Becoming an Eagle

I had my Eagle Court of Honor last night and it could not have gone any more perfect! I would not have it any other way. I was so amazed at how many came and all the help they offered to set up and take down. Here is a little shocker—I did not touch a camera that night! Thanks to Gary Davis for taking pictures and I am so excited to see them!


I want to thank all those who helped support me with becoming an Eagle. I wrote a poem about “Becoming an Eagle.” This is dedicated to my parents, leaders, scout troop and everyone who helped me in some way–big or small.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becoming an Eagle by David Cluff

To become an eagle does not come overnight or by wishing for it. It is not an easy or a fast
process. It does not come by just “showing” up to activities.
It takes time, faith and courage. You have to desire and have to choose to be an eagle.

I cried on my first campout and I puked on my first week long campout; I lost faith when I was
asked to step into a canoe. With the help of others I traveled on a canoe for a week.

It could have been easy for me to just give up and have lost the opportunity to grow into
something greater.

With faith, prayer, leaders and parents, I kept on going, not knowing what I would
soon become.

I encountered hard tasks such as planning a fundraiser, campouts, and making phone calls.
It was not easy but it was possible.

As years went by I was at the stage where I needed to do a project where I could show all the
leadership skills I developed over the years.

I was inspired by a doctor who suggested I build a website for deaf teens.

Once again, I soon was on a journey that would change my life.

I was talking to teens, parents and doctors from all over the world, trying to create a website
for deaf teens. In August 2010 deafteens.org became a reality.

It is not just about the requirements to become an eagle but the person you become.

Over the years I have learned how to conduct meetings, plan big events, talk to people

I never met before and learn how to work with those around me.

For me it started with faith which then raised me up to become an eagle

--------------------------------------------
**Also, published at http://davidcluff.wordpress.com/news/ **