June 2, 2015

Sounds of the Night


   Last week one of my co-workers asked me if I sleep with my Cochlear Implants at night. I responded, "No, it would be uncomfortable and the batteries need to charge every night." He asked a few more questions and I asked a few back. One of the questions I asked was, "What sounds do you hear in the night?" His response was, "I sometimes hear the train miles away from my home." 

   Our conversation  got me thinking about what are sounds people hear in the night? For as long as I can remember my nights are all silent and very quiet. It is as if I step into my own world every night. I remember a few times after losing my hearing, and other times thought my life, I would wake up in the night and forget that I am deaf. It can be rather daunting at times but once I remember that it is me -- I am alright. I never really thought about what nights are like for those who do hear. What sounds do you hear at night? My wife hears the fan, my breathing and the night sounds beyond the walls of our home.

   This topic has also got me thinking about my future family and how will I handle the nights as a deaf parent. My wife will surely help be my ears, but part of me longs to be able to hear those sounds of the night. I remember my brothers and I laughing into the late hours of the nights and we would hush when we thought mom and dad were listening. I think mom and dad were simply too tired to really care but to me those would be precious sounds of the night.

  On another note, I secretly LOVE my silent nights. It is a chance to take a break from the noise of the world, meditate and sleep in any situation. For example, when I was in scouts we would do these campouts. There would be about 3-5 boys in each tent and I was always too tired to stay up into the late hours. When I got sleepy I would go place my cochlear implants on the charger and fall asleep within minutes. The other scouts would often want to see if I really can't hear. They would talk really loud or shout my name in the morning, but not a sound woke me up. Needless to say, I enjoyed my own little world every night. I am so grateful to be able to live the best of both worlds and to experience life in a unique way.

What sounds do you hear in the night?