October 28, 2013

Facing the Question

Being deaf and wearing Cochlear Implants is pretty noticeable at times. At the beginning of my mission I was rather shocked at how noticeable they really are. I have had people ask me about whats on my head but all those I surrounded myself with back home already knew about it. Once I left home and started meeting new people it felt like everyday I was faced with the question "What are those on your head? How do they work?" At the beginning, of my mission, I felt rather frustrated as I wanted to be "normal" and not noticed all the time. After talking to some people and after much prayer I realized this is me and this is my normal life. One of my heroes is Stephanie Nielson "who not only survived a serious accident but is now a thriving example of courage, love, and faith in Jesus Christ, through whom all is well." 
I love how she turned her challenge into her new life. It has been a strength to me when I feel weak at times.


http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=911161811001

As time went on I was able to turn the feeling I once had, about wanting to not be noticed, to a feeling of confidence and a tool to share my faith. God is great! He really does love us. It often takes stepping out of your comfort box to see His Hand in our everyday life. 

I have learned that God gives us challenges or talents to help others in very unique ways. Now I am just excited when people ask me about my Cochlear Implants. Each time I do it is a reminder that miracles do happen each and everyday! If you ever see me...ask me about it. :) 


"The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation."
Psalms 118:14
Old Testament